Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 59 - Body Bugg?

I’m curious about the BodyBugg and other calorie burn measurement devices.  Would wearing one of these contraptions really motivate me to workout harder or workout more often?  Would they spur me to walk an extra mile instead of eating ½ cup of ice cream? 
I like the idea of knowing how much I’m burning throughout the day.  Knowledge is power, and power, in this case, is weight loss.  I have long been suspicious of the online calorie burn calculators and the tally kept by the cardio machines at the gym.  Both seem unrealistically high, as if by telling me I’m burning 400 calories instead of the actual 250, I’ll go out and buy a treadmill or elliptical trainer of my very own. 
Unfortunately after a little online research and a solid comparison article by a fitness device guru, I am unconvinced that the Body Bugg or its competitors will do little more than swallow up my time and my money.  Right now I am putting in an average 8 hours a week of exercise with one rest day.  I can honestly say that is as much as I can do.  I have no time (or energy) to move any more than that.  Granted about one third of that time is spent walking at a moderate pace, but the rest is pretty hardcore exertion.  Well except for swimming, which is also moderate.  Even still, I’m spending at least 3 hours a week sweating like a pig, and I have the heart rate to prove it.  Wearing a Body Bugg isn’t going to make me workout more because I just don’t have the time.
Body Bugg

No comments:

Post a Comment