Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5 - Basketball

I am bored with exercise.  For the past 10 years, I have been doing the same thing over and over.  I play tennis,  work out on the elliptical machine, walk, strength train.   At one point, I bought a mountain bike and used it every weekend, but then I got a dog and stopped riding my bike because I couldn’t justify exercising without her.  Well enough of that.
One of my goals for this year is to change things up.  Get back on my bicycle.  Try something new or at least “new to me.” 
Last night “new” was basketball. 
I was hanging out with my niece and nephews while my brother and his wife went to the movies.  His kids are 12 year old triplets.   It was dark and already pretty cold when I got there, but I was determined to get some exercise, and not via the Wi.  Always up for an adventure, the kids borrowed a basketball from a neighbor (their ball was flat and we broke the needle trying to air it up) and walked to a nearby park with a barely illuminated basketball court.  I warned them that I hadn’t played basketball in about 20 years, which is not an exaggeration. 
When did I get so out of shape?  I mean, I exercise.  I am active.  I guess there really is something to be said for muscle memory because 45 minutes on the basketball court worked me over.  All that running back and forth between hoops.  I can spend 45 minutes on the elliptical and it feels like a walk in the park.  But I was huffing and puffing last night…for real. 
I feel good today.  My legs are tired, but that’s a good sign. 
What will I do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment