Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 1 - The Little Black Dress

A New Year's Resolution of weight loss is far from original.  I'd like to think of my decision to try this weight loss thing yet again less of a resolution and more of an adventure.  A process.  A journey.  I think about my weight every day.  I think about how fat I am every time I take a shower, get dressed, tie my shoes, go to the gym, eat.  When I imagine myself doing something I haven't yet done but want to do, such as snowboarding, wind surfing, or even walking the streets of Barcelona, I ask myself if I am too fat.  Often the answer is "yes."  Yes I am too fat to wind surf.  Yes I am too fat to snowboard.  Well probably not too fat to snowboard, but I have always had trouble getting off the lift without making a scene, and I would prefer not to subject myself to that mortification while 100 lbs overweight.

My greatest motivation for losing weight is my health.  Despite already being an active person and in relatively good health, apart from a severely underactive thyroid (Hashimoto's disease), I know that carrying around 100 extra pounds takes it toll on the body.

There are many reasons why I want to lose weight.  I will discuss these at length over the next 365 days, but for today, with New Year's Eve parties fresh in the mind's of readers, let me pontificate a bit about the little black dress.

I have never had a little black dress.  Oh sure, I have a couple of black dresses in my closet and have had others over the years, but none of them have ever been "little."  The closest I have come to "little" was a size 14.  The cutest one in my closet today is a Lane Bryant size 18/20.  It's a wee bit snug.

Now just so you know, I am a tall woman.  5'9.  I have strong shapely legs and a full bust.  I used to have an  hour glass shape, but my mid-section has spread, much to my great dismay.  Nevertheless, my weight is well-proportioned.  It's possible that by losing 100 lbs I might shrink down to a size 9/10, but an 11/12 is more likely.  I am a big girl, and 11/12 will look great on me.

Keeping size 12 in mind, I went online looking for a little black dress that I would be oh-so-happy to wear.  I like vintage styled clothing, so I flipped through the virtual pages of Anthropologie, a clothier that apparently carries nothing over a size 12.  I say apparently because they include a check box of size 14, but it is always shaded, indicating that that particular size is not available.  So I suspect finding anything at Anthropologie in a size 14 would be a fluke or an odd stroke of luck at best.  Normally I would shun a store that excludes woman of average size (14 is average for American women), but I love Anthropologies' flirty retro style.  And besides....this is hypothetical shopping.  I am not actually buying anything. 

So....here's my idea of the perfect little black dress.


Maybe I'll be able to fit into something like this in 365 days.  Maybe it will take more time.  We shall see.

All content copyrighted 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment