Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 14 - Put Down the Chips

Chips are one of my trigger foods.  I love them.  I love the salty crunch.  I'm not a fan of oil and vinegar potato chips and am able to eat only a reasonable portion of corn chips, unless guacamole is available, but give me a bag of Hawaiian style BBQ potato chips or Nacho Cheese Doritos, and it will be gone in 2 or 3 days.  Never inclined toward big binges, I have not eaten an entire bag in one sitting. 

I brought my own meals to work again this week, which worked out well.  In the two days up, I stuck with my healthy eating plan with the exception of a biscotti on Wednesday.  But more importantly, I did not give into the temptation of chips.  Buffalo blue cheese and spicy Thai gourmet potato chips.  Alright I admit I did eat 3 or 4 of the buffalo blue, but I ate only one of the spicy Thai.  That's a total of 5 chips that were available in the lunch room for 2 days.  Five chips!  Who am I?

Today marks the end of my second week.  I began this journey with only one real goal:  exercise 6 days a week.  I decided to take the rest as it came, rather than becoming obsessed by unrealistic goals, as I usually do, and then eventually abandoning all efforts.  So far this approach appears to be working.  When I have a scone with my morning coffee or a 100 calorie fudgcicle for dessert, I do not berate myself for eating simple carbs.  Instead I focus on staying on track the rest of the day and the day after that.  I am finding that each day I do a little better with my diet.  I do better because I want to do better not because I am guilting myself into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment