Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 93 - Leptin

I've been reading The Leptin Diet: How Fit is Your Fat? by Byron Richards.  He explains the physiology of metabolism.  How it works and why it might be broken.  Fortunately metabolic issues are reversable.  It might take 3 or 4 months of deliberate eating, exercising, and sleeping to set things right again, but it can be done. 

Richards breaks down the leptin diet into 5 rules:

Rule 1:  Never eat after dinner. 
Rule 2:  Eat three meals a day. 
Rule 3:  Do not eat large meals. 
Rule 4:  Eat a breakfast containing protein.
Rule 5:  Reduce the amount of carbohydrates eaten. 

Today I ate primal (paleo plus dairy) with no grains or starch.  Although Richards writes that whole grains, potatoes, and rice are okay in moderation, I am sticking with the paleo/primal plan to eliminate them from my diet 6 days a week.  I think it's important to keep my blood sugar levels very low for a while.  But I did try the no snacks/3 meals a day, and I am surprised to report that I wasn't particularly hungry between lunch and dinner.  After over 2 hours of walking at the beach, I was certainly hungry for dinner 5.5 hours after lunch, but I wasn't ravenous.  I ate a late breakfast and a light lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment