Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 103 - Is this treadmill broken?

Funny thing happened today.  After losing an afternoon trying to recover my computer from a malware attack despite a current McAfee subscription, I forced myself to go to the gym for 30 minutes of sprints on the treadmill.  Now I use the term "sprints" loosely.  My "sprint" intervals consist of 1 minute sprints at 6mph followed by 2 minute recovery intervals.  Rinse and repeat for 25 minutes plus a warm up and cool down. 

So today I get to the gym, reminding myself that my computer crisis is not a disaster.  The files are still there, I just have to find them.  Once I've gotten my pics and music files saved elsewhere, I'll reinstall the operating system.  In the meantime, I'll work off my laptop. 

But I digress.

I'm in the gym.  Self talking my way to a focused workout.  I step onto the treadmill and set it at 2.7mph for a gentle warm up. 

"This is slow."  I think to myself.  "I wonder if the treadmill is broken." 

I up the pace to 2.8mph.  Still slow.  Then up to 3.0.  This treadmill must be broken. 

I move to the another treadmill.  Set it to 2.8mph.  Slow.  Then 3.0.  Still slow.  Then 3.2.  Are both treadmills broken or am I faster?

I am faster.  No doubt.  Walking is easier.  Jogging is easier.  Moving is easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment