Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 182 - Six Months Done and Biking Boredom

I've been at this for 6 months.  Sheesh.  Seems like I should be smaller by now.  At a rate of 2lb/week, I should have lost 52 lbs.  I don't know how much I have lost, but I know it isn't 52.  Judging by the fit of my clothes, I'm guessing that I have lost between 35 and 40 pounds.  At this rate, I will not make 100 by the end of the year, but I will make 70 or 80.  And you know what?  That's okay.   I may not be the size I was hoping to be 6 months into this journey, but I am stronger, and I feel better about my body.

My hip/sciatica has improved a little.  I was beginning to think I would need an MRI, but now I am encouraged. 

There are two stationary bikes in the swim and tennis club.  One is a recline, and the other a regular sit-up-straight sort of bike.  I don't use the recline.  Unfortunately the other stationary bike, the one that I use, is the only peice of equipment in the gym with the exception of two weight machines, that faces the wall.  A few days ago I realized that part of my dread of biking at the club and 4-8 weeks of healing stem from looking at that wall.  There's a heart rate poster on the wall directly in front of the bike, and I have it memorized.  Tell me your age, and I'll tell you your target heart rate for weight loss, aerobic fitness, and anaerobic output. 

Finally I got smart and asked the club manager if she would consider moving the bikes to another location in the gym so that they faced both outside and the TV.  I showed her where they could fit if another weight machine was exchanged in their place.  She was in complete agreement, so I am hoping that when I go in today, the bike will have been moved.  I am not optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment