Saturday, June 25, 2011

Day 176 - Pain

I am in pain.  It's not a good pain.  It's sciatica, and it has gotten worse.  I can't walk or stand more than 5 or 10 minutes at a stretch without needing to sit down for a minute. 

I googled exercises that I should avoid when suffering from sciatica and discovered many of the exercises I have been doing are on the "do not do" list.  This includes squats, lunges, crunches of any kind, running, and any sort of strength training where the lower back is engaged either actively or as support.  Also on the list are deadlifts, which I have not been doing.  At least I got one thing right.

To heal, I figure I need to reduce and limit my activity for about 4 weeks.  Hopefully not longer, but I'm not too optimistic as this juncture.  In the past 4 days, I have taken two rest days and have swam the other two.  That's it.  No walking, no lifting, no biking.  And the outcome?  I'm still in pain.  Lots of it. 

What can I do?  I can swim.  I can do some strength training as long as it doesn't put stress on my lower back.  I can bike.  And when things start to improve, I can begin incorporating walking back into my routine, starting with short walks around the neighborhood and stopping before the pain really sets in. 

I am frustrating by this pain.  It makes me tired.  I feel derailed and a little defeated.  I know that I can still lose weight, but I will have to watch what and how much I eat more carefully.  I can still exercise, but not nearly as much and without the variety that I need to stay motivated. 

This will be a difficult 4 weeks. 


My pain is concentrated right at the nerve.


No comments:

Post a Comment