Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 121 - A Third of the Way Through the Year

I am one third of the way through my year of fitness and weight loss.  Although by no means will my quest for good health be limited to 2011, but I do expect this year will be the most siginificant in terms of overall body changes.  My fitness level has improved considerably since January 1.  I have not yet stood on the scale, but judging from the fit of my clothes, I am down at least 30 pounds.  As far as general health goes, I am sleeping much better since going paleo/primal at the end of March, have a more regular menstrual cycle, and have far more energy. 

My body shape is returning. And by shape, I mean curves.  I was at or close to my heaviest at the start of the year; although I didn't know it.  Everything was big.  My stomach was big.  My butt was big.  My legs were big.  My face was fat.  But now things are slimming down.  I have lost 4 inches in my waist.  The muscles in my legs and arms are much firmer.  I had to drop down a bra size to compensate for the loss of inches in my back and chest.  My face looks thinner. 

There is still a part of me that wishes I was smaller.  That the past 4 months would have resulted in greater weight loss.  It feels as though I am not being fully rewarded for all of my physical efforts and to some extent, especially since going paleo/primal, my new eating habits.  But then I remind myself that progress is progress.  Fitting comfortably into clothes that were much too tight and marking others for donation because they are too big is progress.  Being able to bend and trim my toe nails without running out of breath is also progress.  Seeing my breast stick out further than my stomach is one of the best feelings ever. 

Progress.

What's next?  What will I focus on this month and the next?  Honestly, I'm not sure.  It's nice to be in auto pilot.  To know that I will exercise 8 hours this week and the week after that and the week after that without fail.  To know that I will eat healthy primal and/or paleo meals more often that not.  To know that I will sleep well and wake up rested. 

I have decided to compete in a triathlon sprint October 2.  I have 5 months to train, so I am focusing on losing more weight in May and June.  Starting July 1, I will train to a specific plan, and if all goes well, I'll be running 3 miles by the end of September. 

In the mean time, I will keep up with my once a week boxing class, twice a week circuit training, twice a week sprints, maybe incorporate more hikes into my schedule, and swim and walk as usual.  I will eat lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, and protein.  I will EAT MORE FISH. 

Here's to another 121 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment