Friday, January 20, 2012

Year Two And Spinal Stenosis

I don't think anyone reads this blog, but for the record, I found out what was causing my butt pain.  Not sacrilliac dysfunction.  After 6 months on and off of physical therapy, I finally convinced my doctor to order an MRI.  The results were not good. 

I have spinal lumbar stenosis and a calcified synovial cyst in my right facet joint.  The cyst is contributing to the stenosis and likely the primary source of pain.  I was referred to a ortho surgeon who turned out to be a jackass.  He would not talk to me at all about my back.  Instead he told me to have gastric bypass surgery.  When I tried to discuss back symptoms, the cyst, how I might manage pain during and after weight loss, he said, "I'm not here to debate with you."

I am not having gastric bypass.  I need to lose 75 lbs.  Last year, I lost 25.  (I lost 40 then gained 15 back after I was sidelined from exercise.)  I have been refocused on my weight loss since January 1.  Although I have not weighed, I'm guessing I've lost about 5 or 6 pounds.  My goal is 2 lbs a week.  

Learning out I have stenosis (severe in L3/L4) and that I will either have to have back surgery or learn to manage the pain, whatever that means, was difficult news to process.  It made me feel, for the first time in my life, fragile. 

But after a couple of weeks, I began to feel strong again.  I got back to the gym and am riding the stationary bike and swimming for cardio.  For strength training, I take a TRX class or make up my own WOD, which usually consists of push ups, rows, squats, presses, and some core work.  I take short 20 minute walks nearly every day, as long as I am not in too much pain.  This is a hard way to go, as I am accustomed to vigorous, heart pounding, sweat inducing exercise.  But this is my world for now.  I have to lose the weight. 

I have an appointment with another ortho surgeon next Friday.  Hopefully he will have a better bedside manner than the last and will discuss what to do with the cyst.  I'm hoping I won't get the gastric bypass lecture from him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment