Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crises Averted

Today I wanted pasta for lunch.  Or thai noodles.  Or mexican take out.  I stood in my kitchen with a package of high fiber spaghetti noodles in my hand and an open jar of marinara in my fridge, as well as some Italian chicken sausage, but after reading that an 8th of the package contained 35 carbs and only 3 grams of fiber, I put it back in the bottom of the drawer and ate leftover chicken stew with cauliflower mash.  I didn't particularly enjoy lunch, but I averted a carbohydrate crises and feel stronger for it.  To satisfy my "I didn't eat anything I really liked" pity party, I made some hot cocoa with unsweetened almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla, and about a teaspoon of xylitol.  I'm sipping it now and am satisfied. 

It turns out that the happy feeling I get from eating bread, potatoes, pasta, pizza, and such is not all in my head.  It's physiological.  Eating simple carbs releases dopamine to the brain, as well as a host of other things, all of which create a pleasant feeling.  No wonder so many over-worked, stressed out, lonely, sad, broke Americans are overweight.  We eat to feel good.  And then we do it again.  And again.  And again. 

I am learning to accept that food should not make me happy.  That the once in a while treat while out with friends/family is all well and good, but day to day, my goal should be to eat for my health.  That doesn't mean food can't taste good.  It does mean that I should always ask myself what food choices are best for my body.

Bread Makes you Fat

Random Image - Thought it was Funny

No comments:

Post a Comment