Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 73 - Sugar Addiction

Any diet goals I have set on this blog since the first year have been broken.  I'm not berating myself, but still.  It's disappointing.

I can't stop eating sugar.  White foods.  Bread, sugar, potatoes.  Some days are better than others.  I usually do pretty well at home and then fall off the wagon when I'm traveling for work.  Once I've tripped up, I seem to keep falling forward.  I buy a loaf of bread or a pint of ice cream or make a small batch of brownies.  And so on.  I tell myself that I'll eat a few slices of bread and then freeze the rest.  But I don't freeze it.  I eat 2/3 of the loaf over the course of a week and then throw the rest away. 

I know that my diet is hindering my success.  I'm guessing I have lost 20 lbs, which puts me on track for 2 lbs a week, but I could have lost more. 

My lower back pain and sciatica are persisting, and I know that is partially due to inflammation from the carbs I'm eating. 

I leave for 3 days tomorrow morning.  My goal to stay on track is to eat Trader Joe's Greek style yogurt sweetened with honey for breakfast at the office.  Lunch will be a salad (no bread).  I will not snack on bad things.  I will not eat sugar.  I'll bring string cheese and fruit for snacks.  Dinner could be difficult.  I will try my best but will not feel guilty if I eat a few simple carbs. 

I realized yesterday that I am almost through the first quarter of the year.  Yikes.  Time really does fly.  I feel completely confident that I can keep up this exercise pace.  If I can get my diet under control for the remaining quarters, then I'll be doing great. 

The past couple of weekends have been remarkably unproductive.  I am tired.  Seriously tired.  Sunday's are the worse.  If I lay down to read, I fall asleep.  Mid-day I am hit with a wave of exhaustion so deep that I can do nothing but sleep it off.  And after all this, I sleep at night for 8 or 9 hours.  I don't know if this is due to workouts catching up to me near the end of the week or because I have been traveling so much.  I don't think anything else is going on, but who knows.  It could also be dietary. 


So many reasons not to eat sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment